Debian-based distros ??

I've recently built a new box for myself and would like to put Linux back on it. I started with RH back between their 5.0 and 5.1 release, switched to Mandrake for a while, and have been running Debian (unstable) for a couple years or more. I'm tempted to take the easy way out and just add the old hard drive to my new machine and run things this way, but there's a few good reasons not to. 1) Old cruft I don't want to deal with. 2) New, fresh installs from scrath are always better. 3) The old hard drive is partitioned up between EXT3, Fat32, and Fat16 partitions. It is a 20gb drive total, with approx 10gb as EXT3 (and likely not even half-filled at that). So for me, wiping it clean and running all 20gb for Debian may be wasted space, but still the easiest to do.

As mentioned, I ran Debian unstable for years with no problems. Why unstable ?? I often want newer versions of packages than stable provides... Why do 80% of unstable users use it ?? Probably the same.

So, would people suggest sticking with "pure" Debian or possibly going with a Debian-based distro ?? If an off-shoot, which one ?? I'm looking at Knoppix's site right now...

Thanks and regards
Hall