Re: What filesystem for no-halt boot?

Danie Roux wrote:
> Is there a filesystem (XFS, Reiser?) that will always boot up without
> user intervention? I thought the journalling of ext3 would do it?

I know that the XFS by design does not need to fsck before mount since
all fsck operations are always performed at mount time.  Therefore I
believe it is completely non-interactive.  I personally have not had
any failures or interactive blocks when using it.  But my experience
is limited.  But the man page for xfs should make you feel good.

  apt-get install xfsprogs
  man fsck.xfs

DESCRIPTION
       fsck.xfs is called by the generic Linux fsck(8) program at
       startup to check and repair an XFS filesystem.  XFS  is  a
       journaling  filesystem  and  performs recovery at mount(8)
       time if necessary, so fsck.xfs simply exits  with  a  zero
       exit status.

ReiserFS does have fsck functionality.  But I think the behavior is
the same.

  apt-get install reiserfsprogs
  man resiserfsck

       -a, -p These options are usually passed by fsck -A  during
              the  automatic  checking  of /etc/fstab partitions.
              erfsck  to  print  information  about the specified
              file system.  No checks are performed.  When it  is
              set  - reiserfsck assumes that it is called by fsck
              -A, provides some information about  the  specified
              filesystem and exits.
              For compatibility, these options simply cause reis

> If I read S10checkroot.sh correctly, if I specify an environment value
> of FSCKFIX=yes on LILO boot line it would run this for me. I'll be doing
> that for now, and hoping everything goes fine.

That value would be set in this file and not on the lilo command line.

  editor /etc/default/rcS

  # Set FSCKFIX to "yes" if you want to add "-y" to the fsck at startup.
  FSCKFIX=no

If the time it takes to fsck is not a factor and it sounds like it is
not then any of the journaling filesystems should be fine.

Bob