Re: Looking for backup solutions

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 18:48, Dan Anderson wrote:
> I have a 40 GB hard disk I want to back up to CD.  I figure I could run
> dd but the man page was unintelligible.  Can anyone offer any
> suggestions?

Hi Dan,

	I run 'cd / && tar cvf - . | gzip - > backup.tar.gz' which
makes a compressed file to store somewhere. I think CD's are not
an option for you when your disk is full : 40GB/650MB = 62CD's
(ok, still uncompressed, but even then I would be suprised if
you could get under 25).
Sugestion: store your data separated from your system files
(/var and /home) and backup those. Run dpkg -get-selections gives
your systemfiles that you can restore with a dpkg -set-selctions
after a new install.

Sincerely,

Jan.