Re: Mailing list question

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 07:59:46PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> I want to setup a real basic mailing list for the users in my lab.
> There are only about 10 of us, so I would like to do something
> /etc/aliases.  Is this possible?  Do all the users need to have local
> accounts where the mail gets delivered? or can I just do something like
> this:
>
> list: billy, bob, user1@someplace.com, user2@otherplace.com
>
> Will that even work?  I don't want to go to the trouble of setting up a
> listserver, since there are so few of us and it will be infrequently used.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Why not set up a private news server. All the messages would stay in one
nice centralized place and you wouldn't have to send the messages all
over the place. And as a plus people could easily access the list from
home if they wanted to.

And the best part is you wouldn't have to deal with the annoying things
that make usenet so bad. You woulnd't have messages disappearing all the
time. You could protect the server with a username and password so that
spammers could neither fill your groups with crap or harvest emails,
etc.

P.S. I haven't set up a news server myself, but it seems like a good fit
for what you're trying to achieve.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>