Re: Upgrading from stable

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 11:50:28PM +0000, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:38:49 +0100, Antony Gelberg <antony@antgel.co.uk> penned:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think I'm ready to upgrade my main desktop machine from stable.
> > I've been running stable (with an XF4.3 backport) for months now with
> > no problems.  Only thing is, I'm starting to run into too many packages
> > where I do need new features and fixes.
> >
> > I'm tempted to go straight to unstable - given the threads that I've read,
> > it seems very similar to testing in terms of actual stability.
> >
> > But - given that this is my _main_ machine, I use it for work all day,
> > every day, is this a bad idea?  I keep reading of people running
> > unstable with no problems.  I'd like to turn it around and ask if anyone
> > _has_ had any major problems with such an upgrade, and if so what?

> I have had no problems performing the upgrade from stable to unstable.
>
> When I have had problems with packages in unstable, for some reason it
> always seems to have been with X.  (That's an estimated 4 times in
> several years, so "always" isn't as dire as it sounds.)  I ran debian
> unstable for a couple of years at my old job with very little trouble.
>
> Here's a question for you: how often do you expect to upgrade your
> system once you're running unstable?  Will you be checking every few
> hours to see if anything new is available, or will you be restricting
> yourself to upgrading only when you need new features or have received a
> pertinent security update?
>
> The more often you upgrade the system, the more chances there are for a
> half-baked package to sneak in.
>
> --
> monique
> Please respond to the group OR to my email, but not both.  (Group preferred.)

That's good enough for me.  I don't plan to upgrade much at all.  I
notice that unstable doesn't contain XF4.3 yet.  I have the following in
sources.list:
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/freetype/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/fontconfig/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/libpng/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xft/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/debconf/i386/ ./

Anyone know offhand if this is going to cause problems?  I need XF4.3 as
it supports my Radeon 9000.