Re: user-level logrotate?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:25:24AM +0200, Henrik Christian Grove wrote:
| "Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> writes:
|
| > I have a few applications that create log files in my home directory. Is
| > there a (simple) way to use logrotate as a normal user?
|
| I see no reason that logrotate should require special privileges

Correct.

| for any but reading and writing it's state file, so try something
| like:
|
| logrotate -s ~/private-logrotate-status ~/private-logrotate.conf

Put this in your personal crontab ('crontab -e').  My (personal)
crontab entry looks like
  # rotate personal logs
  @daily    /usr/sbin/logrotate --state $HOME/etc/logrotate.status $HOME/etc/logrotate.conf

It works well.

-D

--
If Microsoft would build a car...
... Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/