Re: fetching older packages?

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 05:14, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:16:11 -0400, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> penned:
> >
> > I don't remember (don't use apt-get these days). Aptitude does.
>

> I've been using dselect for a few years now and never really had a
> problem with it ... occasionally using apt command-line tools when
> necessary ...
>
> Seems like a lot of people don't care for dselect.  What do you find
> wrong with dselect, and why do you like aptitude better?

I never really used dselect, prefered command line apt, was easier for
me for some reason then going through the menus.

> Also, there are no new packages available that I don't know about yet
> ... will aptitude tell me about them in a really obvious way, as dselect
> does by putting them right up top?  If I look at them in aptitude, will
> they still show up as new in dselect, or will they be marked as seen?

Using aptitude in the curses mode (just aptitude on the command line)
gives you the packages sorted using several categories, one of them
lists the new packages. This list only resets when you tell aptitude to
forget new packages, and not when you look at them. I don't know if
telling aptitude to forget new packages makes dselect forget them also.