dpkg slightly bent

I had a crash while using Kpackage last night (nothing to do with software,
it's a hardware fault).  I'm up and running again after much fscking, but
now Kpackage (or rather, dpkg which it calls) won't work.    I get the
message   'failed to open /var/lib/dpkg/available - no such file or
directory'.

Sure enough, there's no such file.  There is a available-old  file - should I
just copy that as 'available' and continue?   Or will it get something
fatally out of sync?

cr