Atapi Zip detection woes!

Dear:  fellow Debian users;

I am having a problem setting up my Atapi Iomega Zip drive under Debian.
I have followed the Zip disk howto, and have done all its suggestions
but I am still not able to have the device work.

First off I have the Zip Drive attached to a Promise Ultra 133 ATA
controller card (yes according to promise it is able to load devices
other than hard drives).  The Bios of the card does not load due to it
being a Atapi device.  The drive does work under windows attached to
the controler card.  I have installed the promise 20269 driver and my
system does see the card per dmesg, which is in parts below.

// this is my kernel parameters passed at boot time.
Kernel command line: ro noapic root=/dev/hdd6 hda=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi

// I also get this error message.
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2

// this is a section that lists my ide devices.
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
hda: LITE-ON LTR-32123S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdb: JLMS DVD-ROM LTD163D, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: Maxtor 6E040L0, ATA DISK drive
hdd: Maxtor 6Y120L0, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

// this section reflects my controller card.
PDC20269: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:0b.0
PDC20269: chipset revision 2
PDC20269: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0x1410-0x1417, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0x1418-0x141f, BIOS settings: hdg:pio, hdh:pio

// what is kind of weird the last few lines of dmesg show this.
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP(,...)]
parport0: irq 7 detected
imm: Version 2.05 (for Linux 2.4.0)
// of course imm is the module name I am trying to install.

Now after I have run update-modules, and depmod which I beleive is the
same thing.  When I try to modprobe imm I get this.

Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/modules.dep
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: init_module: No such
device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: insmod imm failed

If I try a insmod I get this:

Using /lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: unresolved symbol
parport_claim_Rsmp_dc843753
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: unresolved symbol
parport_register_device_Rsmp_75a20b73
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: unresolved symbol
parport_unregister_device_Rsmp_0cffd5b6
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: unresolved symbol
parport_release_Rsmp_e2338255
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/kernel/drivers/scsi/imm.o: unresolved symbol
parport_enumerate_Rsmp_b88956ae
Raiz-MPX:/home/rcall# modprobe imm.o
Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
/lib/modules/2.4.22-mpx/modules.dep
modprobe: Can't locate module imm.o

Which I beleive is the real problem, after googling for the above error
messages I came up empty.  I used the Iomega new driver as my zip drive
is only a couple of years old and is a atapi 250 iomega zip drive.

I have also used modconf to install the module but did not pass any
parameters, which I don't know any anyway, of course it failed.

Below is what /proc/pci says.

Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
    Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20269 (rev
2).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=18.
      I/O at 0x1438 [0x143f].
      I/O at 0x1430 [0x1433].
      I/O at 0x1428 [0x142f].
      I/O at 0x1424 [0x1427].
      I/O at 0x1410 [0x141f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0003fff].

I have also looked at syslog which does not really show much, I have a
LCDproc daemon running which defaults to syslog.  So maybe some of you
guys could shed some light on this subject.  What parameters do I need
to pass when using modconf?  If you want all of Dmesg, or other log
files I will be more than happy to supply them.

Thanks;

Rthoreau