Re: rpm -qa vs apt/dselect/etc

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:29:32PM -0400, Angus D Madden wrote:
> > rpm -q --whatprovides xxxx = tell me what package provided program
>
> If the package is not installed, you can grab the Contents-$arch.gz file
> from one of the debian servers and use zgrep to see what package owns
> what file.

I once grabbed a function from somewhere:
packageof() {
[ $# = 1 ] && w3m -dump "http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?>
}

This allows you to do "packageof hello".

Highly recommended if the program isn't installed yet.

Greetings,
    Chris Niekel

--
    I've been down so long, if I'd cheer up, I'd still be depressed.
            - Lisa Simpson, Moanin' Lisa Blues.