Re: How Do You Know If It Works In Linux?

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:11:04AM +0800, csj wrote:
> At Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:43:35 -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> > As with most questions, ask google. There are numerous sites
> > and hardware compatability lists that have been created. It is
> > a good idea to check the hw compatability lists first, but also
> > check out the vendors web site to see how well supported an
> > item is and how easy it is to use the support.
>
> This will only work for expensive or really dumb products like
> PS/2 keyboards.

Depends to some extent how you choose your keywords. It may be useful
to include terms like "fail" or "doesn't work" and see if you find
people unable to get that hardware working under Linux.

> A case in point: I'm trying to google for
> Linux-compatible USB modems (dialup).  The only recommendations I
> could find are for the ultra-expensive USR modems.  With one or
> two exceptions, I couldn't find any Linux-specific mention for
> the more affordable Asian (specifically Taiwanese) branded
> modems.  The one exception I can remember is for a DLink modem
> that had a different model number.  I don't have the slightest
> clue if the recommended model is simply a renumbered version of
> the models available at our local computer shops.

A point about USB and modems is that USB is fast enough to make it
possible to implement an external winmodem. It may well be
safer/cheaper to use an RS232 modem with an RS232-to-USB converter.
(having found one of those that's supported in Linux :-) )

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons