exim: pipe delivery process timed out

Sadly, for the last three days, although swen is starting to abate, I
have encountered a new email malady ;<

   # sudo exim -bV
   Exim version 3.36 #1 built 26-Aug-2003 22:39:06
   Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2002

[1] Generally, I receive between 2,000 and 3,000 emails per day, and
prior to this new problem, have *not* had any exim queue problems.

[2] Now that this problem has begun, I notice -- often, but not always
-- that `exim -bp' shows several dozens of queued messages.  While I
have been querying, only one has shown as frozen.

[3] I am finding several messages in rejectlog, with this message:

     mds@localhost
       pipe delivery process timed out

[4] Although, some of these are swen, or spam related, the majority of
these messages are not.  In fact, I have several automated remote
monitoring messages that have come to me regularly for years, that now
-- sometimes -- end up going through this bounce nightmare, and do not
get to me other than as:

   failure notice
   Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Unfortunately, anything below exim 4 appears to the user community as
antiquated, and nothing helpful is forthcoming.  Also, I find myself up
to my eyeballs in customer problems, so I have little available time
right now to tinker with this, even if I knew what I was doing ;>

What can cause this problem?

More importantly, what can I do about this?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds