about lilo

Please help me to understand lilo. If one loads lilo
on the root sector of a partition, does this mean that
it has no affect on the MBR? Exactly, what does it do
when it is on a partition? Presumably, it specifies
the kernel to be used on the partition, but how do you
get to the partition in the first place?

The reason for these questions is because I want to
upgrade my kernel without changing the MBR.