Re: OT: RH and Debian brothers now?

Pigeon wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 02:52:12AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 08:26:32AM +1200, cr wrote:
> > > I appreciate that dselect is only part of the install process, albeit the
> > > largest part timewise if one uses it.
> >
> > You don't have to, though.
>
> Yeah, but what are the choices?
>
> Run tasksel (y/n)? (frequently too coarse)
> Run dselect (y/n)? (we all know about this one :-) )
> Do it by hand afterwards - somewhat inconvenient and daunting for a
> new user
>
> ...and as cr says, the risk of premature termination and the lack of a
> 'back' option are big minuses. Though I hate to say it, the lack of
> 'back' options to correct a damnwrongbutton is one area where Debian
> tends to lose to M$. We all kit the wrong key sometimes.

It makes very little sense to crituque the old installer at this point.
if you had send me this critisizm five, or even three years ago, I would
have fixed it then. As it is, I fixed it this year.

There's still a chance to crituque the new one of course. See the
docuemntation for the debian-installer project and do a test install.

--
see shy jo