Question about ~/.xsession

According to the Debian reference Debian uses both ~/.xsession and
~/.xinitrc for setting up an X-environment.

I use wdm as display manager and need a personal PATH.

If I set it up in ~/.xsession it works as desired but if I now login on
a terminal and start a separate X-Server my ~/.bash_profile is executed
what is right and also the ~/.xsession is executed.

But I don't want ~/.xsession to be executed because the environment has
already been set up in ~/.bash_profile.

I hope you understand me.

I want ~/.xinitrc (and only ~/.xinitrc) to be executed if I use a
display manager and ~/.xsession only to be executed if I use startx.

Is this possible or is there a Debian way to set up a separate environment for Xand login shells?