Re: Black Holes.

David Palmer. wrote:
O.K., I'm trying to get on top of a few things here, and am struggling
to find directions that make sense.
It's got to the point where I have actually got to the point of starting
off a series of posts at an open source forum to help out other newbies
like myself.
But even though I am able to find documentation that will teach me the
basics of bash, I've looked all over the web for a simple tutorial to
explain step by step procedure for download and install of a basic
application.
'Start the installation procedure', was the last reference I copped,
without the faintest thread of logical explanation about how one should
go about doing that.
I've downloaded the Gnupg application. I know it's there because after
the end of the download the location is stated as
'/home/username/.opera/download', so at a prompt I'll type:-
'cd /home/username/.opera/download'
and I get echoed back to me:- ~/.opera/download$
to check I type:- pwd
and get :-/.opera/download
echoed back again. So it's definitely there. But how do I get to it,
install, and activate it?
What is the procedure now?
So the only other avenue that I haven't tried is a book.
On the Debian site there is a list. Would anybody who has read any of
these be good enough to recommend one that attempts to communicate?
The Linux Cookbook.
DebianGNU/Linux Bible.
Learning Debian GNU/Linux.
Debian GNU/Linux: Guide to Installation & Usage.
I should appreciate any response.
Regards,

David.

google on -IBM linux tutorial compiling-. There is a good tutorial about installing software from source in the IBM tutorials.
HTH
Charles