Re: [OT] kernel 2.4.22 local APIC errors

David Fokkema wrote:

Hi group,

I compiled linux 2.4.22 from kernel-source-2.4.22 and now my logs are
flooded with these errors:

Sep 27 15:32:24 orion kernel: APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)
Sep 27 15:32:52 orion last message repeated 45 times

Lots of people were getting this error. Try searching google for "kernel APIC error". Many responses suggested turning off APIC on boot with the "noapic" option. I think I even remember reading a post saying it was OK to ignore the errors, but I cant find the source now so don't trust that.

In total, this message is repeated hundreds of times. Also, I get the
following error:

Sep 27 15:32:21 orion kernel: apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver
version 1Sep 27 15:32:21 orion kernel: apm: overridden by ACPI.

But I have only compiled apm as a module, which is not loaded (checked
with lsmod). But maybe I should simply compile without this module.

Strange that there would be error messages unless maybe apm keeps trying to load. Is apmd running and trying to load apm?

You can also disable ACPI and hopefully avoid the errors by using the "pci=noapci" option for the kernel on boot. If this is a server, I don't think you need apm or acpi. If this is a desktop or a laptop and you want to experiment w/ power management, then I agree with your conclusion of _not_ compiling apm. If your bios/mb support acpi (and the Linux version support the version in BIOS) it should be better than using APM. If you try acpi and it doesn't work well, then compile without it and with apm.

Anyway, what are the APIC errors? Google wasn't very helpful. I didn't
have these errors in 2.4.21.

Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (Intel, PIC) -> dict apic, or click the APIC link in "You searched the web for APIC" in the blue area below the tabs in Google.

--
Jacob