cdparanoia + ide-scsi = no usable drive?

When I got my cd burner, I started using the ide-scsi module to access
it and the cdrom drive.  This has worked well, until today.  I
received two new audio cds in the mail.  I put one in each drive and
played them through with xmms.  No problem there.  I then tried to rip
the cds using cdparanoia like I have done with my other cds.  However, cdparanoia reports the following :

    $ cdparanoia -B
    /dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
    cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
    Consider using -sv to force a more complete autosense
    of the machine.

    More information about /dev/cdrom:
    Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
            Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
                    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
            Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
                    No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd

Using '-sv' as suggested simply produces more of the same output, but
for each device tried.  Explicitly specifying the device yields the
same output.

When I closed every app using the cd drives, removed the 'sr_mod' and
'ide-scsi' modules and inserted 'ide-cd' then I was able to rip the
cds (only from the cdrom, not the cdrw for some reason), however this
workaround is not an ideal solution.

Is cdparanoia not compatible with ide-scsi for some reason?  (why?)

What is a good solution?  (IOW, what do you do, or what do you
suggest?)

TIA,
-D

--
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to
all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  But when he

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/