Re: Very slow CD burning

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 07:28:53PM +0100, Dan Bowtell wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 16:42, Pigeon wrote:
>
> > > I've tried running it with cdrecord.mmap suid root and as root but it's
> > > still just as slow. Could it be related to me not being able to set dma
> > > on any of my drives? How does that affect scsi emulated drives?
> >
> > (I'm CCing you, since you CCed me...)
> >
> > Since your original post there have been a couple of others that have
> > elucidated that the latest cdrecord has a bug which causes it to throw
> > out an error message when trying to _reduce_ its privileges (such as
> > in your posted output). In the past these error messages have been a
> > good indication that the cdrecord binary isn't running as root, which
> > seems to have thrown me off track.
> >
> > Not being able to set DMA might well be connected. SCSI-emulated
> > drives are still on the IDE bus as far as the hardware is concerned,
> > so they are affected by IDE DMA settings. Also, if the hard drive is
> > not using DMA, it will be a slow business getting the data to send to
> > the CD-RW in the furst place. Do you have DMA enabled in your kernel?
> > My kernel config (2.4.21) has:
> >

> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> > CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> > CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
> >
> > What output do you get when you try to set DMA?
>
> I didn't mean to CC you, i just hit reply assuming it would go to the
> list but it went t you instead. My DMA settings in the kernel are:
>
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_FORCED is not set
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
> # CONFIG_IDEDMA_ONLYDISK is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> # CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_WIP is not set
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA100 is not set
> # CONFIG_HPT34X_AUTODMA is not set
> CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
> # CONFIG_IDEDMA_IVB is not set
> # CONFIG_DMA_NONPCI is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA is not set

Looks good to me...

> When i try and set DMA i get the following error:
>
> /dev/hdc:
>  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>  using_dma    =  0 (off)

...but perhaps you don't have support for your motherboard chipset
enabled? The game here is to translate the numbers you get from lspci
into the appropriate CONFIG_BLK_DEV options using the kernel docs,
menuconfig help screens, Google and the like. If you fail in this
endeavour post your lspci output.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons