Re: pppd daemon dies

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 20:52, Thomas Krennwallner wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sat Sep 27, 2003 at 01:03:30AM -0800, J Y wrote:
> > Sep 26 05:42:22 deblnx pppd[1178]: The remote system is required to
> > authenticate itself Sep 26 05:42:22 deblnx pppd[1178]: but I couldn't
> > find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so. Sep 26
> > 05:42:22 deblnx pppd[1178]: (None of the available passwords would let it
> > use an IP address.)
> >
> > I  went to kde/kppp site and read there that commenting out the
> > 'auth' line in /etc/ppp/otions could be a fix but it wasn't. So I copied
> > the /etc/ppp/options file from my SuSE distro but that didn't work
> > either.
>
> Add following line to /etc/ppp/options:
>
> noauth
>
> So long
> Thomas

Or alternatively, after bringing up Kppp, go

Setup ->  [select account] -> Edit -> Customise pppd -> [type in ] noauth  ->
Add

I've just had to do that, half an hour ago, and it works.

(I just did a complete reinstall of Woody, for various reasons).

Curiously though, /etc/ppp/options still has  'auth'  in it,   while
/etc/ppp/peers/provider   has  'noauth' (and already did, I think, even when
I was having that 'drop-out' problem mentioned above).   I don't know how the
two inter-relate, but evidently what I did in Kppp has changed something else
somewhere.    I was intending to ask for some clarification on this list.

Other question - what's the 'proper' way to give a user (me) access to ppp?
I can think of a couple of ways that might work but I might as well do it the
'proper' way.   I don't need high security (being the only user) but I'm sure
I shouldn't be posting as root    ;)

cr