Re: Starting Emacs: "Loading 40mule-ucs (source)..." takes a while.

(Please Cc me if you reply this mail.)

On September 26, 2003 at 12:07PM +0100,
Adam <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> I've never had this problem on Emacs on other Linux distros or
> >> OpenBSD, although I use mule. Why does this slow loading occur
> >> specifically in Debian, and how can I fix it?
> >
> > Did you use the byte-compiling options when you installed emacs?
>
> Probably not! I just used dselect when I installed stable (using boot
> floppies and a network installation), then later fiddled the sources
> list and used apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> I take it the problem is that Emacs is loading Mule from *.el rather
> than *.elc files. How do I set the option I want?

Debian mule-ucs package enables Mule-UCS Unicode (loading
/usr/share/<flavor>/site-lisp/mule-ucs/un-define.elc) by default
in the startup file `/etc/emacs/site-start.d/40mule-ucs.el'.

disable Mule-UCS Unicode, set the `DEB_MULEUCS_UNICODE'
environment variable to "off" before starting Emacs.  See also
`/usr/share/doc/mule-ucs/README.Debian'.

(The `DEB_MULEUCS_UNICODE' environment variable is supported by
Debian mule-ucs 0.84.99rc3-1 or later version.)

--
Tatsuya Kinoshita