Re: cdrecord as regular user

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 11:22, David Fokkema wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I have problems with cdrecord when run as a regular user. I configured
> the debian package with suid, but still I get the irritating
> RR-scheduler warnings:
>
> cdrecord.mmap: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> cdrecord.mmap: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
> setpriority().
> cdrecord.mmap: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.

I now understand that a bug report has already been filed. According to
one of the comments, the author of cdrecord has mentioned that you can
safely ignore this warning, since cdrecord is actually _lowering_ it's
privileges (I don't understand the warning, then). The problem is that
cdrecord drops root privileges before trying to do this, hence the
warning message. It seems to be hard to fix this... Anyway, I don't know
if this is true. I'm going to try to ignore the messages and see if I
burn coasters or not.

David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!