Re: Cron

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 02:54, tb.nospam@comcast.net wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 09:47:07PM +0200, Stefan Waidele jun. wrote:
> > Howell Evans wrote:
> > >You can not make cron more granuler(sp?)  then ever 5 mins.
> >
> > Quote from 'man cron':
> > "cron then wakes up every minute, examining all stored crontabs,  check-
> > ing  each  command  to  see  if it should be run in the current minute."
> >
> > So cron's granularity (++sp?) is one minute.
> >

> That's amazing; I would have expected cron to have information to know
> a priori when to wake up, rather than "polling"...

Waking up once a minute (which is a signal itself) to spend a 1/2
second reading some 5 line (yes, yes, they can be longer) text
files is a *lot* simpler than having a signaling system for each
crontab file.

> At the least it could optimize out obviously simple cases...

Like what?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

The difference between Rock&Roll and Country Music?
Old Rockers still on tour are pathetic, but old Country singers
are still great.