Re: what mailing system for me ?

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, mess-mate wrote:

> Hi list,
> Used until now only sylpheed as my mta but needs X to run.
> If I want using 'mutt', a complete set of packages must be setup :(
> But what packages, I'm completely newbie about messaging.
> I've a little network and 1 isdn-router.
> And I've personally 4 mailing accounts on 3 ISP's,
> that's 12 accounts.
> The goal is to deal a console mailer with my sylpheed mail directory (maildir) + a spam filter who's delete directly from the ISP ( no download of spam-messages).
> What's the best combination of packages ?
> Thanks for your advice.
> mess-mate

Here is my setup:
ISP->MAILFILTER->FETCHMAIL->SENDMAIL->PROCMAIL->PINE
mailfilter deletes from the ISP by checking headers
fetchmail gets the mail from the ISP
sendmail get the mail from fetchmail and delivers it locally
procmail intercepts the mail from sendmail and delivers it to one of many
mailboxes or can delete it or many other things.
pine is my mail reader -- it uses mbox, so no go there.
here is the good part: procmail can deliever mail as mbox or maildir!
so, just find a mail reader that can read maildir.
And I suppose chuck sendmail, Debian defaults to exim4, which is better.
-kev