device ownership for Xwindows user

Greetings all,

I'm an old Linux user (started with the TAMU 0.99 release) who got
busy with life and kids, and lazy and ran RedHat.  I'm switching to
Debian to get back to my roots and have a few, probably brainless,
questions.  First on my list is that in RedHat the
/etc/security/console.perms grants temporary ownership of the device
files listed in it to the user logged on to X.  So I'd set it up for
the tty devs with my modem and palm pilot, the cd burner, the usb port
for my Kodak camera, etc.  At login the X user would become the owner
of the listed devices, at logout, they would revert to the standard
device owner.  Is there a comparable mechanism in Debian?

TIA,
Chuck

|Chuck Mattern	        | "People often find it easier to be a result |
|camattern@acm.org      | of the past than a cause of the future."    |