Re: mixing stable and testing debian packages.

* Louie Miranda <louie@axishift.ath.cx> [030926 09:06]:

> Is it possible to mix stable and testing deb packages?.

Theoreticaly yes, practicaly maybe. Many packages from testing depend
on packages, which don't exist in stable, or on newer ones, so updating
some components to testing may lead you very fast to a system, where
many core-components come from testing.

Additionaly you should know, that testing is not supported by Debians
Security Team, so you should subscribe the debian-security-announce
list, and keep an eye on vulnerable packages you have installed. It
might even be possible, that you need to install a package from
unstable, to fix a problem in testing fast.

> I mean, ex: I have libc6 2.2.5-11.5 and i want to make it  libc6 2.3.1-1

As I said: libc6 is such a core component. You might want to search on
www.apt-get.org or www.backports.org for packages from testing or
unstable, backport to stable, before you start playing with your
system.

> Now, im confused. Btw, if im going to put the testing distribution on
> /etc/apt/sources.list
> will my apt-* tools fixed this problem? And whats the correct configuration
> to get testing deb packages.

If you tell apt a source for testing packages, it will be able to fix
most problems. Due to the process of unstable becoming testing, it is
possible, that a package in testing depends on an other package, which
isn't part of testing yet.

> I mean like this:
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
> Whats the url and will i change stable to testing?.

If you haven't found a backport, and still want packages from testing
you can try the following:
- add a new "deb ..." line to your /etc/apt/sources.list replacing
  "stable" with "testing".
- Since apt will take the newest package avaible you need to tell apt,
  that you prefer "stable" over "testing".
- So create a file /etc/apt/apt.conf containing the line:
  'APT::Default-Release "testing";'
- run "apt-get update" to update you database of avaible packages
- when you call apt-get it will install packages from stable and follow
  dependcies within stable
- when you call "apt-get install <packagename>/testing" it will install
  the package from unstable, and tries to follow dependcies within stable
- when you call "apt-get -t testing" apt-get will get everything from
  testing, use it with caution!

Yours sincerely
  Alexander

PS: All this is mentioned in the apt-howto.