My @INC has been corrupted

Somehow my Perl @INC when running dselect has been corrupted. I have had
a newer version of Perl installed under /usr/local, and at some point I
have begun getting error messages when committing the changes from
"Select" in dselect.
The error messages are all about some DebConf/*.pm files not being found
in @INC, and the @INC being shown only contains /usr/local/..... paths.

After I have begun getting these error messages, I have removed
everything related to the /usr/local installation of a newer Perl
version. I still get the error messages when running dselect.

What has happened, and how can I set things back to normal again?

Best regards,
David List