RE: S.M.A.R.T. messages - what do they mean

To my knowledge, SMART is a utility that allows the hard drive to report
certain conditions to the OS.    However, it is up to the manufactor to
define what gets reported and when.  Is this a new drive just put into the
system or did these messages just start appearing?  Bottom line is that in
order to get any sort of certainty on what may be occuring, you will
probably have to refer to the drive manufacturer's docs on their SMART
reporting facility.  However, in any case, I would make sure you have the
drive backed up and a spare ready. :-)

Joe