Re: route entries will not stick

Michael Kahle <michael.kahle@scc-wi.com> writes:

> Where do I configure entries into my routing table so that when I reboot
> they exist the next session?

You probably need to add them to your /etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth0 inet static
      address 10.1.0.14
      netmask 255.255.0.0
      up route add -net 10.2.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 gw 10.1.0.2

iface eth1 inet dhcp

...should, if I got the syntax right, bring up two network
interfaces.  eth1 gets an address by DHCP (and probably a default
route as well); eth0 is on 10.1.0.0/16, but also has a route to
10.2.0.0/16 via 10.1.0.2.

> I am reading the Linux Networking HOWTO and this is 1) conspicuously absent

Well, it's very specific to your distribution.  I'd have absolutely no
idea how to do this in Red Hat, whereas the 'route' command is pretty
generic.

	-- Abra Mitchell