Starting Emacs: "Loading 40mule-ucs (source)..." takes a while.

I installed Debian "stable" and subsequently revised to "testing".
With both versions I've had the following problem with Emacs
(currently 21.2.1): whenever I run it, it takes a very long time
to get through the message ``Loading 40mule-ucs (source)...''.

I've never had this problem on Emacs on other Linux distros or
OpenBSD, although I use mule. Why does this slow loading occur
specifically in Debian, and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Adam