Re: Any users of mondoarchive on debian boxes?

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 09:07:40PM -0600 or thereabouts, Paul E Condon wrote:

An article in Oct issue of Linux journal got me interested in Mondo
Archive, which is software that builds self-booting restore CDs for
Linux systems. So, I started to try to use it. I found a debian
package in Woody, and did the standard apt-get ... .  I had mostly no
problem understanding the man page. But some puzzles lead me to look
at the Mondo web site, and ...

I found the woody package to contain an error that was fixed in the upstream source a while back: when you've backed up to an ISO image and burned that to CD, it wants to read 1.iso from the CD-ROM on restore.

[snip]

And if not true, who, on this list has experience? Is there a
different Debian list where I should be going for help on this
particular package?

As others have already noted, Hugo found Debian a little difficult to begin with. I have successfully used mindi-0.94_cvs_20030924.tgz and mondo-1.74.tgz yesterday to backup and restore an IDE system with ext3 and reiserfs partitions. However, LVM is not supported yet, as that seems to be set up in a different way in Debian than in other distros. I hope the mindi development team will get around to extending mindi appropriately (as the Debian behaviour doesn't appear to be a debianism). Hopefully, Hector will be able to create suitable Debian packages for the distribution.

Cheers,
Tobias