Re: Still on install

Sidney Brooks wrote:

--- Sidney Brooks <sidneybrooks@yahoo.com> wrote:
--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
Sidney Brooks wrote:

1. I can get two dialers, kppp and
ppp[config/pon/poff], to dial,
but they do not authenticate. The kppp log
says:
The system is required to authenticate itself
but I cannot find
any suitable secret (password) for it to use
do so. (None of
the available passwords would let it use an
IP
address).

"apt-get install minicom", and then use it to
verify
that your username/password is working on the server. This won't allow you to start a ppp session, but it should allow you to verify that your username/password is working. If it doesn't, then triple-check that you're using the right username/password.

You might also have to reconfigure pppconfig for
CHAP instead of PAP, etc.

--
There is no doubt that I am using the correct
username

My ISP specifies PAP not CHAP.

I have used pppconfig/pon/poff in earlier versions
of
Debian without trouble.
I am using kppp sucessfully now in RedHat.

The question is why neither will authenticate even
though both dial properly and I can hear a response
from my ISP. Debian must have some quirk that I am
unaware of.

Let me end by expressing my appreciation for your
interest and help.

In /etc/ppp/options is an "auth" setting you can try commenting out. There's a better way to do this (as mentioned in the options file), but this would serve as a quick and dirty test to see if that's related.

--
Kent