Failing boot - Kernel panic

I'm getting an error on startup that causes the system to halt before fully booting, and would like some help figuring out what exactly is wrong and how to fix it :) Here are what seem to be the applicable lines:

  request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
  VFS: Cannot open root device "341" or 03:41

(by the way, is there any way to get a log of all the messages from a failed boot? I had to copy these out by hand)

I'm using lilo as my boot manager for a multi-os system, with the operating systems occupying two separate physical drives. I would like to put lilo on the mbr of the first drive, and have it able to boot windows from hda2(vfat) --which it currently does without a problem-- and my Debian installation from hdb1(ext2). hda1 etc are currently being used by another installation of Debian which I'm going to remove once this one's working. The error seems to occur AFTER lilo has passed control to the kernel, but the part about appending a "root=" option sounds like a lilo issue to me, so here's my lilo.conf (minus the comment lines):

  lba32
  boot=/dev/hda
  root=/dev/hdb1

  install=/boot/boot-menu.b
  map=/boot/map
  delay=20
  menu-title=" Booting FriedFish on... "
  vga=normal

  default=Linux

  image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

  image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional

  other=/dev/hda2
        label=Windows

I can't see anything wrong here. Is it possible that the other Debian installation's copy of lilo is messing something up?

I should probably also mention that hdb is a new drive I just purchased. Is it possible there is something wrong with the drive itself? (a quick google search for "kernel panic VFS" seemed to bring up a fair number of dead harddrive scenarios..)

The system was booting properly when I first installed Debian on the new drive and hadn't yet tweaked lilo. I'm not sure if this problem started immediately after this or not though, as I was doing a lot of switching around with boot disks for a while there. Besides changing around lilo's configuration, I've also just recently removed kde and installed Gnome1.4, complimented by a few gnome2 libraries that dselect thought were a good idea. My boot disks still work fine (although they are incredibly slow)

Is there any other information about my system/history/etc that would be helpful?

Sincerely,
 --Maxwell Terpstra