apt-get upgrade: dpkg error

When I executed "apt-get upgrade", it cycled through

"Preparing to replace ..."
"Unpacking replacement ..."

some times until ending with

"Unpacking replacement librpm4 ...
  /var/cache/apt/archives/gettext-base_0.12.1-3_i386.deb
 E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"

The story behind (for whom it interests):

After some weeks (!) configuring my new Debian 3.0 stable distribution, I
was able to produce something worth printing, but not to print. I had
lpr-ppd installed.
>From a discussion on this forum I got the impression that lprng was better
and installed it together with magicfilter, just that magicfilter didn't
install any printer driver. So I tried to install the testing
version of lprng and magicfilter, but that required a newer version af
some library too.
So I fed some internet addresses with testing packages in my
/etc/apt/sources.list and called "apt-get upgrade". I was informed that
470MB would be downloaded. So I cancelled, shut down the system and
returned at midnight, when the local phone company has a flat rate. For
the next four nights, I called "apt-get upgrade" at midnight and armed my
alarm clock for 6:00 am when the flat rate ends to interrupt the upgrade.
Yesterday at 6:00 am the download was complete and the system began to
ask long lists of configuration questions. After some time I interrupted
the PPP connection because my budget is limited, which provoked an error
message. As 6 hours of sleep is not enough for me, I shut the system down
and went to bed again.
Half an hour ago, I established the connection to my internet provider and
called "apt-get upgrade". Result: see above.

Somehow I know what is wrong: It is simply that nothing works in Debian
out of the box. Just that this insight doesn't help me.

So somebody could please:

1. indicate me the next step

2. give me a good argument that I am not walking in a circle?

Frank Hrebabetzky	Tel.:     +55 / 48 / 235 1106
Florianopolis			  +55 / 48 / 9998 7686
Brazil			email:	  frankh@terra.com.br