Re: MS mail bombs

on Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:46:45PM -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 19:40, Joyce, Matthew wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe this would be the future for e-mail, deny all but specified...

> > It is probably (should be imo) the future of all computing.
> >
> > Permit this
> > Permit that
> > Deny everything else
>
> Isn't this kindred to C-R?

Not necessarially.  Depends on the implementation.

SMTP-time blocks on the basis of whitelisting are an IMO reasonable C-R.
Yes, you have to clear you address or IP, but the request is *highly*
specific to your own traffic.  This does require that you can
discriminate between types of C-R, and the naive user may not be able to
distinguish between an SMTP bounce providing clearing instructions, and
an email reply to a From: or envelope sender address.

In general, targeted allow, deny, accept provisionally email policies
are where I'm headed.  The key is making them very specific.

Peace.

   At the sound of the toner, boycott Lexmark:  trade restraint via DMCA.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1023-979791.html