Total Mess.

I just installed Libranets' 2.8.1 (latest version).
After apt-get update, and then apt-get -u dist-upgrade, and configuring
Debconf. and resultant install, I get menu items like Eterm not available
anymore.
At the end of the install in Eterm I get:-

'Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/powermgmt-base
/var/cache/apt/archives/sawfish_
E: Sub-process /user/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)'

And that's it.
I remember somewhere during the upgrade, mention of a radical change in the
powermgmt package, and I took the approved option.
Sawfish I can live without, also. Both of these would not be mission urgent
enough to produce the effect, so I would think that it must have something to
do with a common library to Debconf. and dpkg?
I wouldn't know, I'm an absolute newby so I'm fairly lost here.
I know there must be a way to copy and paste the display but I had to type it
out, which should give you the general gist.
Can anyone give me any idea as to what has gone wrong here, and point me to a
reference of some sort which will assist me in cleaning this up?
Kernal version is 2.4.21.
Thanks for any input.
Regards,

David.