woody kernel upgrade woes

I am struggling with a kernel upgrade with a woody box, installed from
3.0r0 CD.  I installed with a 2.2.20 kernel, not sure what flavor.  This
being the first time I did anything kernel related, I did what I thought
was the simplest thing, and chose the 2.2.20 image from
security.debian.org, using dselect.

After the upgrade, the box would not boot, hanging after the LILO
screen (Loading..........).  I inserted cd #1, and at the boot: prompt
rescue did not work, but rescvanl did.

Installing the latest (woody) 2.4.18 kernel image had the same result.
It has been suggested to me (but I am not sure) that the problem is the
images don't have support for my adaptec SCSI card.  It is a 2940, and I
believe it needs the aic7xxx module, per googling a bit.  I see that
module on my machine at /lib/modules/2.4.18-1-686/kernel/drivers/scsi
with a date of last night, at about the time I did the install.

I am very close to being over my head, so "small words" would be great.

Thanks!
-Ben