ldconfig returns bus error

Hi,

I'm having some trouble after the latest update of my Debian unstable.
I'm running it on an AMD Opteron 144, ASUS SK8N mainboard, self-compiled
Kernel 2.4.21

After updating my system few days ago via "apt-get upgrade" it installed
a new libc6 v. 2.3.2-6. Since then, I've been unable to install any
software because running ldconfig returns "bus error".
I've tried going back to 2.3.1 from testing but having the same problem
here - never had any trouble before though.

At first I thought this might be a hardware issue but it's definitely
not since a friend of mine, running Debian unstable on his VIA KT266/AMD
Thunderbird 1000 has that very same problem. The only thing we have in
common is the harddrive, Seagate Barracuda After running ldconfig, the
kernel log reads:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=350204,
sector=350136

That does sound like a hardware issue but I can assure you, it's not. Do
you have any ideas how to fix that, right now I'm unable to install any
software because apt-get says that "libc6 is still unconfigured" (and so
is all the other software I installed during that upgrade) and dpkg
--configure libc6 quits with error exit status 135.
I've also tried libc6 2.3.2-7 and 2.3.2-8 but they're both having that
issue, so what can I do next? I gotta admit that I have no idea what
might be causing this or how to fix it.

Thanks in advance
Martin Jungowski