Re: MS mail bombs

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 12:38, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * cr (cr@orcon.net.nz) [030920 20:47]:
> > I love Kmail too, but I'm running 1.3.2  (the version that comes with
> > Woody) and I'm not sure it offers that facility.    I believe the newest
> > version does, but when I installed it briefly (with RedHat 9, before I
> > switched to Debian) it warned me that deleted messages really were
> > deleted, they don't go to Trash anymore.   If that's true, I couldn't
> > live with that, since I'm forever fishing messages back out of Trash for
> > another look.
>
> Well, isn't that the whole point?  In order to get it into your trash
> folder, you'd have to download it.  If you're deleting before
> downloading, it's not going to be in your trash folder!

Oops, sorry, I didn't make myself clear.   It's two quite separate cases.

The messages I *don't* want to waste time downloading are 100K-sized  Klezs
and Sobigs.   I want to delete them off the ISP's server.    (And nobody
sends me legitimate messages 100K in size anyway).    That's why I would like
the (rumoured) ability the latest Kmail has to do just that.

I'm on a number of mailing lists and get a large number of legit messages
daily, most of which are threads I'm not interested in, so I just delete them
quite quickly.   I don't mind doing that.    Every now and then I hit Delete
on a message then decide I do want to read it anyway, or occasionally, it's
an important message I deleted by mistake.   So (with this version of Kmail)
I just go into Trash and retrieve it.    I'd hate to lose such messages
without chance of recovery.

> One alternative is IMAP, in which the mail stays on the server and can
> be moved into a different folder *on the server*.
>
> good times,
> Vineet

That sounds like an option, except I'm not sure what size my ISP allows my
mailbox to be....   with all the spam around at the moment, it might be
unfortunate if I forgot to empty 'Trash' for a couple of days.

Regards

cr