Re: Kernel Image for SMP + HIGHMEM

Stuart Johnston wrote:
> I have a couple of systems I am trying to setup as production servers
> using Debian stable.  They have dual P3s and 2GB RAM.

Should work very nicely.

> It looks like the standard kernel images in Debian stable do not support
> the 2GB of RAM.

The 2.4.18 kernel in woody does not.  (So I assume you are looking at
woody stable.  The later kernels for sarge testing does have the
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G option enabled.  So I deduce you are running woody.)

But if you look at the 2.4.20 kernels in woody-proposed-updates you
will find a precompiled kernel that does have CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G
enabled.

> I'd like to avoid compiling my own kernel images if
> possible but it looks like that may be my best option.
>
> Are there any other suggestions?

Add this line to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

  deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ woody-proposed-updates main contrib

Install the kernel from there.  That is also a modular kernel and will
need an initrd setup.  Just follow the directions during the install.
It will also pull in some other packages as dependencies such as
initrd-tools and cramfsprogs.  That is fine.

  apt-get update
  apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.20-2-686-smp

Then I would comment out the proposed updates line from your
sources.list file so that you don't get anything that you don't
specifically want and rerun 'apt-get update'

Note that if you search the mailing list archives you will find lots
of discussion about the 8139too driver being a module.  If you happen
to be using that you will need to add it to /etc/modules or run
modconf and let it add the driver for you.  Since that is built into
the bf24 kernel it has tripped up many people when they upgraded to
later modular kernels.

Bob