Re: reuse apt-get cache

Benedict Verheyen wrote:
Hi,

i have a server and it has a quite extensive sources.list. Now i would like to make a cron job that does "apt-get update" every so often and then use that cache for my connected client so i don't have to download the packages list again and thus use unnecessary bandwidth.

Ideally this would mean removing the entries in my local clients sourceslist and have just 1 entry that points to my server's cached packages list.
Is this possible and how can i do that?

In the future i plan to make packages of my own scripts. Can i combine
those? I mean putting my packages in the cache of packages on the server
and thus also have them available for the pc's connected to my LAN?

Thanks
Benedict

rsync[or otherwise copy the contents of] /var/lib/apt/lists/ between the two machines. This is what I do for my chroot and it seems to work.