Re: Procmailrc to play sound async when message arrives

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 10:15:40PM -0400, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> There's probably an easier way than this, but you could use perl to fork()
> the bplay processes, so they don't block.

Okay, I realized I could just call a bash script that ends in & to play
the sounds async to procmail, that's half the question.

Now my question is narrower and doesn't involve procmail:

if I fork bplay several times, it doesn't "mix" the sounds: they
still play out synchronously, even though the caller isn't blocked.

Is there a sound utility that will play a WAV file in an "overlapped
way" -- so that I can get my "rapid fire clicking effect".  I know alsa
can do this: I play XMMS and Festival and MPlayer all simultaneously.
How can I do that from the command line with a WAV?