Re: MS mail bombs

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 04:07, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2003 10:54, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > Yeah, but for a fee...
> > >
> > > Which can be totally justifiable from an ISP point of view, since after
> > > all they do have to put the technology in place which does not come
> >
> > Bull.  By using spam/virus filtering on their end, they are saving
> > on bandwidth between the ISP and the end-user.
> >
> > Thus, even if they can't/don't use SpamAssassin & Amavisd, and must
> > spend money on filtering s/w, it still saves them money by not having
> > to upgrade the downstream h/w.
>
> I don't think that many isp's are concerned about the <user>-><isp>
> connection, who needs to pay extra for that ? It's the <internet>-><isp>
> connection that eats all the money.

I must be lucky.  My d/l speeds have consistently stayed in the
2.2-2.5Mbps range, even as the cable service has become more popular.
This, while the theory is that as more customers attach to the shared
cable system, speeds will decrease.  The only answer is that Cox has
been adding new hardware in the field to make "sub-nets" even smaller,
thus maintaining consistent speeds.

So, reducing the amount of "bad" data going downstream, reduces
the amount of new hardware my cable company must install in the
field to maintain good service.

> The isp will simply apply a quota, if I use over 10 gig in the past thirty
> days my calbe modem gets capped to a 15kb/s downstream limit.

Hmmm, well I can't answer to that, since I don't know if I've ever
d/l'ed 10GB/mo.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"What's your genius, perfect 20 years too late Monday morning
quarterback answer to how the US should have responded to the
Soviet invasion of Afghanistan? Oh wait, you're just talking
crap - you don't have a real answer, you're just regurgitating
crap from NPR."
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=76597&cid=6839483