Re: How to deal cron(tab)

on Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 01:01:35PM +0000, Vittorio (vic50@email.it) wrote:
> At home I set up a small woody server working as a proxy, firewall,
> router. It stays idle most of the time being used at night only by me
> & my daughters. I've noticed that cron(tab (I don't know, it's the
> standard installation, anyway!)) starts doing its job every 20
> minutes, which is in my opinion useless and 'consumes' my server hd.

cron itself checks for runnable tasks once a minute.

Standard system jobs run daily, monthly, and weekly, and are found in
the directories /etc/cron.daily, /etc/cron.weekly, etc.

If you have a job that's running once every 20 minutes, it's likely
something in a user crontab (/var/spool/cron/crontabs), the system
crontab (/etc/crontab), or the system cron job run directory
(/etc/cron.d/).  Check here for something running with a specification
of:

    8,20,40, * * * * *

...or similar.  That would be:  a job running every 20 minutes or at a
specified set of intervals.

Peace.

    The truth behind the H-1B IT indentured servant scam:
    http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/itaa.real.html