Re: install

--- Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
Sidney Brooks wrote:

I followed the instructions below. When I entered
"linux single" at the boot prompt, I ended up with
blank screen and frozen computer.

Ah, this points to a non-X problem. Did you ever get
to the point where it asked for the administrative password?

You might try booting off the installation CD; at
the lilo prompt enter "rescue root=/dev/[your root partition]". Then we
can go from there.

--
Kent

Sidney Brooks wrote:

I tried rescue root= ... and ended up at the same
place, a frozen computer and blank screen. The only
time when I was asked anything was just after
installation, when I logged in with root and password.
I then typed "startx". There was the usual quick
display of writing and then the freeze. Everything
that I have done since then just leads to the freeze.
Sidney

Wow! You have some broken-ness in your system.

First, I would highly recommend that you post to the list, and not just to me. There's a lot of people smarter and more experienced than me on the list who might have input on this problem.

Second, I'd try booting off the installation CD again, this time like a normal installation. When you get to the point where you can partition a hard disk, instead choose the option to mount previously initialized partitions. Mount /, and then shell out (Alt-F2) to a shell. Look in /target for your / partition, and look for anything odd. You might want to run fsck on it..

Actually, no; I wouldn't do that second. Instead, at the normal boot: prompt I'd enter "linux init=/bin/bash". This will drop you into a limited bash shell, where you can look around.

--
Kent