Re: Lost sound capabilities (/dev/dsp: No such device)

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:44:48 -0400,
Levi Waldron <levi.waldron@utoronto.ca> wrote in message
<[🔎] 200309212044.48940.levi.waldron@utoronto.ca>:

> I had my YMH0800:OPL3-SA3 Sound Board working with the ad1848 driver,
> isapnp etc under Woody.
>
> Then somewhere in the course of installing a stock non-installation
> kernel, adding second ethernet card, and loading the IP masquerading
> and iptables modules, the sound stopped working.  The symptoms are
> given below.  The Sound HOWTO only recommends for such cases to go
> "pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf", uncomment the correct lines in
> isapnp.conf, run "isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf"

..where _is_ it?  ;-)  If you call it /etc/pnpdump, isapnp still has
no idea, unless you play some cool tricks I have no idea about.  ;-)

> , reload the modules, and
> enjoy.  However I have no idea which lines of the *long* isapnp.conf
> to uncomment - it is quite non-obvious to me, and I'm not even sure
> this is on the right track.  Any tips?

..keep your custom kernel, but 'apt-get install' a standard kernel and
compare 'lsmod' output, on booting between them.

> retro:/etc# lsmod    (potentially relevant parts only)
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> ad1848                 20768   0  (unused)
> mpu401                 18816   0  (unused)
> isa-pnp                27752   0  [ad1848]
> sound                  53836   0  [ad1848 mpu401]
> soundcore               3556   2  [sound]

..play with modprobe, it looks like sound doesn't know
what isa-pnp found.

> retro:/etc# pnpdump
> # $Id: pnpdump_main.c,v 1.27 2001/04/30 21:54:53 fox Exp $
> # Release isapnptools-1.26
> #
> # This is free software, see the sources for details.
> # This software has NO WARRANTY, use at your OWN RISK
> #
> # For details of the output file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
> #
> # For latest information and FAQ on isapnp and pnpdump see:
> # http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/
> #
> # Compiler flags:  -DREALTIME -DHAVE_PROC -DENABLE_PCI
> -DHAVE_SCHED_SETSCHEDULER -DHAVE_NANOSLEEP -DWANT_TO_VALIDATE
> #
> # Trying port address 0273
> # Board 1 has serial identifieOPL3-SA3r 0f ff ff ff ff 00 08 a8 65
>
> # (DEBUG)

..booooo, never tried this one?

> (READPORT 0x0273)
> (ISOLATE PRESERVE)
> (IDENTIFY *)
> (VERBOSITY 2)
> (CONFLICT (IO FATAL)(IRQ FATAL)(DMA FATAL)(MEM FATAL)) # or WARNING

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: