apache and rewritten config files

It's possible that I have gremlins in my machine ...

Okay, so, I don't look at the php pages on this machine all that often.
But every now and then, I do so and find that -- poof! -- apache has
forgotten how to render php, and consequently, anyone in the world can
see the source to various pages.  Not to mention that they *can't* see
the pages in question.

It happens rarely enough that I have to re-discover how to fix it, which
usually involves LoadModules and/or mime types ... but still ...

Why is it happening at all?  How can I protect myself?

(I'm running apache 1.3.27.1-3 and php 4:4.3.2+rc3-6 on an unstable box.
Well, the box isn't unstable, but debian is ... well, you know what I
mean.)

No one but me has root, and I am reasonably certain that the box hasn't
been compromised ... and if it had been, I'd be pretty surprised if the
only change was a once every several month minor tweak to apache's conf
files!

--
monique