Network card LED goes off on Booting

Hello friends,
I am trying to boot Knoppix on my brother's machine, and when I do so, the network LED goes off when the kernel starts probing for hardware. Knoppix boots and I configure networking ( IP is assigned etc ), but cannot ping any other machine on the network. The Ethernel card is detected during boot up. This card is working perfectly with Mandrake which is installed in the machine. Please help me how to rectify this problem and I want to understand why the network card LED goes off on booting and the machine cannot "talk" to other machines on the network. Thanks in advance.