Re: debian package install problem

--------> End E-Mail Number one.
> I checked to see if I could turn off the html
> characteristics of the email sent when
>  using free yahoo email. I could not find a
> configuration tool to send this in plain text
> so I am sorry in advance about this email.
> What I am most concerned about is
> getting help with the Debian problem I
> described (although it should be noted to
> send questions in plain text if that is the
> way you want to get it). I went to the
> Debian organizations website and it said if
> a new user (paraphrasing) has a problem
> to send questions to this email address
> (did not mention format). I got your
> message now what about an answer to my
> question? Is there a site I can go to for this
> information? Do you know how to solve
> this problem?
> If you want Debian to be the Linux flavor
> for professional programmers then form a
> private club and remove the manifesto
> from the website. If you want the Debian
> flavor to survive then I advise you to
> consider the masses otherwise it'll be a
> project of you and a thousand or so
> programmers.
-----------> End of Second E-Mail

Gerald, For the life of me, I cannot understand you REAL question.

I want you to understand, Debian *IS* the ultimate Linux Distribution. I
find your wording very insulting. You need to ask smart questions. You
need to be a bit more logically descriptive.

There are a lot warnings Debian give that OTHER distributions just gloss
over. The Kernel Linking issue with older Kernels. By default Woody
installs with the 2.2.20 Kernel. You can choose the BF2.4 Kernel (which
is 2.4.18 non-initrd) if you want to try newer kernels.

I understand your problems with the binutils package, that is a
"informational" warning. It is of no concern for you if you run Debian
Stock Kernels (which is the recommended way to go).

Also, understand there is NO commercial interest in Debian. It is 100%
Volunteer... and 100% Non-Profit... it Does have a Social Contract that
is very stringent about what can be "Debian" ... So when you claim
Debian will just be a "Clubber" style Distro... you are sadly mistaken.
It will more than likely out live RedHat, ManDrake, Slackware, SuSE or
any other Commercial Distro barring commercial distros based on Debian.

I am sure you meant o harm, but you came across very belligerent...
Help/Tell me or Else never works on Debian people, rather it just sets
you into the ignore/twit file they have.

My best advice to you is:
Ask Smart Questions - http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Be pleasant - Do be belligerent
Give GOOD details, in other words describe the problem well, describe
what you have done to try and fix it (if anything), Tell the
circumstances under which it was encountered. Last but not least realize
we are ALL volunteers... most of us have real jobs besides trying to
make Debian and Linux in general a good thing.

There are some VERY VERY good heads chocked full of info lurking on this
list, if your demeanor is one of an "open mind" you'll be surprised how
many more people respond.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Optical delusions still themselves when you pass by in convexing pomp
and sacral trance