Help w/http default Woody install, Squirrelmail, defaults

I installed a Woody system on my Intel box with an HTTP installation from
debina.lcs.mit.edu.  I wanted squirrelmail, so I installed apache-ssl,
then squirrelmail, all via apt-get, and squirrelmail magically worked
fine.

After a couple weeks of perfect operation, I opt to add virus scanning for
email, choosing clamav, which is what a colleague at work is using for
lab-wide mail filtering, and I saw it worked great against a ton of
infected spam.

In the process of my following the clamav directions, I ended up mangling
my squirrelmail installation to the point it would no longer let me
authenticate.   I tried several rounds of apt-get remove php4,
squirrelmail, and apache-ssl, all to no avail.   Google search
reveal(ed/s) I may have had uw-imap installed, so I tried that.  No luck.
I tried cyrus.  No luck.

I tried obtaining a fresh versio of squirrel from the squirrel site and
almost got it working, but, upon logging in, it refused to see my
mailboxes and said it was disconnected from the imap server.

I tried variants of uw-imapd and cyrus.  No luck.   I eventually pulled it
and apt-got squirrel again, along with apache-ssl.

So now, I am at a state where SM's URL is seen, but hangs after I enter my
username/password.

I also set up another Intel box at home the same as the first, with SM
running fine.  I've been doing back-to-back comparisons and haven't come
up with anything helpful yet.

My question is how what are all the dependencies of a default Debian,
out-of-box http install, for squirrelmail to work, and how do I modify my
first machine with existing mail to allow SM to authenticate me again?

As an aside, I also have PINE w/SSL installed and it used to be able to
write to my Inbox.Sent folder via an Fcc line.  It can no longer do so,
thus it at least appears the IMAP server is a problem, if not more.

I am able to send mail fine via elm and mailx, and receiving is also fine.

Please help.

Thanks.

Scott, Boston, MA